Can you believe that the first time I was given Egg muffin to eat, I never knew that it was “Egg Muffin” 🤣🤣
Can you believe it? Now what is worse is that they called it Egg Moi-Moi and for someone who hates Moi-Moi, I automatically hated the idea and existence of Egg Moi-Moi.
Now I think of that day and all I am doing is laughing at our craziness and ignorance.
It’s Egg Muffin, and can I tell you that it’s one of the yummiest (if there is a word like that) dishes that can be served as a side dish or even a main dish.
Egg on its own is a portion of food that intrigues me. A food that can belong to the Protein family and at the same time to the Carbohydrate family. But its intriguing quality is that it also contains cholesterol and so we can group it into the Lipids family.
Cholesterol is the brain food, in fact, from recent research, I carried out at an NGO, cholesterol is the backbone for every other hormone to generate. And a child’s needs cholesterol, and Egg is a good sauce.
Now, how do you make Egg Muffins?
With every recipe, I will give, realise that you are free to incorporate more as cooking is art😉
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated red potatoes, cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and peppers, and cook 5 minutes, or until tender and water evaporate. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Mix in cooked vegetables, potatoes and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line large muffin tin with 8 baking cups. Portion ½ cup mixture into each cup and bake in oven 10-20 minutes, or until eggs puff and are firm.
The above recipe was gotten from Here/
Now, if you are me who probably can’t get mushrooms or don’t like mushrooms, substitute with sausage (cut). I would also put in onions and probably take away the tomatoes and cheese.
And instead of baking, I would use small rubber plates or Moi-Moi plates to pour the mix and cook for 30mins in a pot of boiling water- just like you make Moi-Moi. My guess is, this is where they came up with the wrong name – EGG MOI-MOI. (LOL)
Either way, whatever you do or substitute with, make sure you still have an Egg muffin.
Also, note that; you can serve with rice, jollof rice or just like that